top of page

The 80/20 Approach is effective, sustainable & DOABLE!

Updated: Oct 2, 2022

I’m pretty sure I’m not the first to share the 80/20 Rule with you but I most definitely hope to be the one who helps you implement the popular rule and approach.


Before I start with rules and tips, let me first explain what the 80/20 Rule means. The 80/20 Rule or 80/20 Approach is a nutrition approach that suggests one does not need to consume nutrient dense foods 100 percent of the time but only 80 percent of the time. When we practice the 80/20 approach, we focus on eating nutrient dense foods 80 percent of the time, and less nutritious foods the remaining 20 percent. I like to think of it as 3 categories:


Whole Foods "are generally characterized as foods that have not been processed, refined or had ingredients added to them. Whole foods include fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, meat, fish and eggs."


Healthier Processed Foods or minimally processed foods"are slightly altered for the main purpose of preservation but which does not substantially change the nutritional content of the food."


Unhealthy Processed Foods: "processed foods for your diet are typically ready-to-eat and low in nutrients. They include cookies, sugary drinks, deli meats, and frozen pizza, salty snacks like chips, and most breakfast cereals. These foods may taste good, but they're loaded with added ingredients that aren't good for you."



Personally, I love this approach and use it when I am in maintenance mode and am not working on any time sensitive goals. As easy as it seems, I know many of you struggle with implementing this approach, and it doesn’t matter how much I suggest the rule, tailor Fits Lana’s Meal Plan’s around the approach or openly share my nutrition choices. Ya’ll need actionable items you can implement immediately so I compiled a list of action items to help:


1. Calculate your daily caloric and macro needs:

Track daily and weekly intake, by logging calories a couple of days during a normal work or school week and on the weekend

2. Learn to follow the 5:2 Day ratio:

Stick to your calorie goals for five days in a row & have more relaxed days the remaining 2 days.

3. Fill you day with nutrient dense meals & snacks.

My eBook, Food for Fat Loss is full of nutrient compliant foods and can help you create a list of your favorite nutrient dense foods.

4. Don’t punish yourself on your calorie focused 80% Days:

Healthy food shouldn’t be bland, and you should be eating an array of nutritious foods on your calorie focused days. I highly recommend learning new healthy & yummy recipes.

5. Avoid binge eating on your relaxed days: 

One these days you’re allowed less nutritious foods, but I encourage you to practice: moderation, portion control & self-control, or you will gain.

6. Implement an exercise regimen:

When coupled with exercise the 80/20 rule can result in physical results and behavioral shifts that lead to a sustainable life change.




These 6 tips can be started all at once or one at time, BUT YOU HAVE TO START! Pick one or two, create a plan of action & let me know how you do this week! I look forward to hearing about your progress!


If you’re on the go, busy, and can’t seem to get a full meal in, packing bento snack boxes may be the perfect, “Complete Snack” for you. Plan prepare and pack bento boxes that cover all your macronutrient needs: protein, carbs & fats, and that’s what I call completing the snack!

Now, I don’t know about you, but I love packing my snacks in the cutest, safest and most durable containers around and I’ve found the Sistema brand to be THE BEST. If you want your very own set, click the links below:


Not ready to DO IT ALONE, BOOK A FREE CONSULTATION or Sign-Up to start your coaching program











69 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page